Saturday, June 2, 2007

Almost there!

Nearly a month since I last posted! I've officially graduated from vet school now, and finally have my diploma to make it official. Irritatingly enough, now I have to wait for my license so I can't do things like give rabies vaccinations yet. I had to wait until I received my diploma to apply for that. And I can't get federally accredited until I get my license, so I cannot fill out health papers. And I can't use or prescribe controlled drugs until I get my pharmacy license....which I can't apply for until I have my license! It is very irritating, especially since I went to school for eight years and still can do little more than trim nails and look in ears for the time being. Ah, well, this too shall pass!

So, my official start day is on Monday! I will try to post interesting experiences and stories as I come across them. Judging from talking to other vets, it doesn't take long to accumulate a fairly large and varied number of those. I will certainly change names and, where appropriate, breeds, specifics or even species in these stories to make sure that patient privacy is protected. Still, it should be fun!

I'll end this post with the oath that we all swore at our graduation:

The Veterinarian's Oath

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health, the relief of animal suffering, the conservation of livestock resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge. I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary ethics. I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

No comments: