Sunday, October 21, 2007

Update

It had been a busy week, and I definitely need to give you all an update!

First of all, I have gotten several questions regarding Nina and how she is doing (she is the poodle with the dislocated hip) I wrote about here. She came in last Monday for a re-check. The owner reported she had been doing really well! I took of the Ehmer sling and she started walking around, using the leg. She still has a bit of a limp and a slightly abnormal placement of the foot, but much of that may be due to having that leg up in a tight sling for 10 days, unable to use it. She'll be coming in next week for another re-check just to make sure everything is on the up-and-up. Hopefully she doesn't injure that hip again.

And the other big news of this week was that I had my first emergency C-section! This little dachshund had been in labor for 24 hours and had produced one puppy...almost 12 hours before the owners called me. Very long story short, we ended up doing a late night C-section on her Thursday night. All told, she had 7 puppies (5 males, 2 females) all of whom were alive and doing well by the time they left. The owners weren't quite sure what the father was (either a Peke or a Chihuahua....probably a Peke by how the pups looked), but I'm sure they'll be pretty cute when they grow up. Mom had been hit by a car when she was a puppy and had a pelvic fracture, which -- combined with the fact that the largest pup in the litter was blocking up the works -- explains why they had problems. I certainly hope they do well! Here is a pic of the new mom and her litter while she was waking up from surgery.

No comments: