Saturday, March 3, 2007

Hummingbirds, Tigers, and Bears (Oh My!)

Weekends work a bit differently. There are no scheduled procedures, so I essentially have the weekend off. I could even leave town if I want, but how can I! Having free-run of the zoo is such a great opportunity to wander around at my heart’s content and literally spend hours looking at everything. Plus, I’ve already figured out the habits of some of the animals such as when they are most active and when they get fed. And besides…with the weather as bad as it has been, the interstate was still closed, so it’s not like I can get many places! And with a desert just across the street, who needs to gripe about the howling wind?

But not everyone dislikes this weather. I love to get bundled up and go out and watch the Siberian Tigers and Polar Bears who are clearly in their element playing around in the snow. I’m going to try something a little different, and see if I can get some movies I took to work. Let me just say that -- if this works -- this little bit of computer magic shows an amazing increase in my technological skills that should receive national recognition.

First is a video I took today at the polar bear exhibit. This fella certainly wasn't dampered by the frigid temperatures and below zero wind chills!


Second is a video I took of one of the Siberian Tigers. These guys are very comfortable in snow, and it shows. I actually expected this guy to go down into the water. When he bolted up the hill, it surprised me so I lose him for a second. Later, when I was watching, this guy did a fantastic jump and climb onto a ledge in the exhibit that I didn't think they could get up to. Of course, i didn't have my camera out at the time (typical)


And last for today is a male Anna's Hummingbird in the Desert Dome. I was actually filming him in an attempt to get the beautiful flash of his feathers whenever he moved. However, he obliged me with a song!


So, that's the extent of my post for today. I got more great pictures and movies as well that I will post at some point. Stay tuned!

No comments: